Industrial drum motors
Compact, powerful and robust drum motors to drive belt conveyors for transporting a wide range of bulk goods.
LAT drum motors
A drum motor is a completely enclosed electric drive, with the electric motor, gear box and bearings located in the drive drum. Thanks to this construction with the gear motor integrated in the drum, a drum motor has a very compact design and all internal components are protected against external factors. The drum motor transfers the required power to a conveyor belt, converting the drum torque into traction force. A guide drum is a drum without an electric motor, which tightens the belt to create traction on the drive drum. Drum motors are also used in beltless drives.
Industrial drum motors
A conventional drive is located on the side of the machine, for example a belt conveyor. This arrangement regularly leads to damage to the gear motor, for example if heavy items such as stones fall off the conveyor in a cement plant. There is also a risk of a forklift truck accidentally colliding with the installation and damaging the gear motor.
Unlike a conventional drive, a drum motor does not have any external components, so it can be integrated into the belt conveyor and takes up less space. This greatly reduces the risk of damage.
BEGE and LAT drum motors
BEGE is an official distributor of LAT drum motors for the Benelux. All LAT drum motors are manufactured in Germany and sold inside and outside Europe from our large stock in Sassenheim, the Netherlands.
The range of LAT drum motors from Himmel, combined with our application expertise, enables us to offer a large and complete range of drum motor solutions.
We supply a variety of drum motors:
- Standard aluminum or stainless steel crowned drum motors (IP69K)
- Drum motors with cold-glued rubber (friction) cladding (smooth, diamond profile, food-safe with knob profile)
- Drum motors with hot vulcanized or molded polyurethane (friction) cladding
- High-quality materials
- Advanced manufacturing
- Ceramic coating
- Long life
- Easy installation
- 97% efficiency
- Low energy costs
- Low total cost of ownership
- Silent/quiet operation
- Space-saving design
- No separate components
- Protected against aggressive substances
- Reduced risk of damage
- Maintenance-free and low-wear
- Encapsulated stainless steel construction
- Good labyrinth seals
- Meets highest hygiene requirements
- Protection rating up to IP69K
- Resistant to high pressure cleaning, water vapor and chemicals
Your Reliable Partner in Drive Solutions
We make life easier for industrial enterprises by creating, optimizing and maintaining high-quality drives.
Food & Beverages
LAT drum motors are the ideal drive for food processing and food production applications. Thanks to the encapsulated stainless steel construction, drum motors excel in hygiene. By using only premium food-safe materials such as stainless steel and special no-tox oil, our drum motors meet the highest possible hygiene standards.
Belt conveyors with an integrated drum motor run more efficiently than with a conventional drive, leading to higher productivity. LAT drum motors are very accurate and can start and stop quickly. All components are integrated in the drum motor, so it takes up less space. Finally, our drum motors are plug-and-play units for easy installation, saving time and money.
Packaging & Logistics
Drum motors are mainly used in the packaging and logistics sector to transport, push, feed and discharge goods. For horizontal transport as well as moving to other levels.
Drum motors are also used in dynamic warehouses where high-throughput products are processed quickly and maximum benefit is achieved in minimum space. Pallet flows and carton flows help to significantly reduce order picking time.
Bulk & Solids
More and more goods need to be collected and processed separately and on time in global material flows. Powerful logistics and an efficient system are vital, and LAT drum motors are an essential part of efficient and safe transport of bulk goods.
Increasing efficiency, increasing reliability and reducing costs are essential elements.
Space-saving drum motor mounting directly in the conveyor frame maximizes transport capacity with the same surface area. A positive side effect of this is that the mass is evenly distributed over the elegantly designed belt conveyors.
LAT drum motor TM series
BEGE provides compact, powerful and robust drives with LAT drum motors.
- 15 different diameters (61.5 mm to 800 mm)
- Power ratings from 30 W to 132 kW
- Lengths from 200 mm to 1600 mm
- Belt speeds from 0.03 m/s to 4.5 m/s
- Protection rating up to IP69K
- Rubber or ceramic cladding
- Crowned and cylindrical drums
- Oil cooled
- Helical gearing
- Ground tooth faces for smooth running
- Planetary or straight gears with steel teeth
- Special frequencies (40 – 60 Hz) and voltages
- Windings for different voltages
- Thermal protection: thermal switch (WT) or thermistor (PTC)
- Corrosion protection
- Sprocket / toothed pulley
- Clamping bearing
- Pole-changing motor
- Suitable for ambient temperatures above 40°C
- Labyrinth seal or disc seal
- Brake and/or return lock
- All types of drive roll claddings possible. Hot and cold vulcanized versions and materials
Do you need a different type of drum motor for your installation? Contact our engineers.
Our engineers have the specialist knowledge necessary to help you select the right LAT drum motor for your application. Feel free to contact us.
BEGE service benefits
- Longterm component availability
- Short delivery times thanks to inventory in the Netherlands
- Quick delivery of spare parts
- On-site repair and service
- EU engineered for reliable quality
- Support in your own language
- Custom solutions available
BEGE does more than supplying and distributing various quality brands of drive components. We support industrial enterprises through the combination of individual components into complete, optimized drive systems. The contact with a single partner keeps everything straightforward.
Advice & custom work
Drawing on many years of experience with drive technology, we also engineer innovative custom solutions. Whether it is a small modification such as a steel drum motor with a specific type of cladding or a larger project that requires a fully custom drum motor, BEGE offers complete solutions.
We engineer the entire drive system according to the situation: we select the right power, gearing and belt speed, and optionally the cladding. We also choose the best-fitting drum diameter and length and look after the connection to the PLC, variable frequency drive and HMI.
Sign up for BEGE news and updates